Monday, February 1, 2010

SunShine Club - Princesses and Princes

Per invitation to a Sun Shine Club dinner, it was promptly at 4p.m. that I made my appearance yesterday to an empty crowd with the exception of a couple of young kids stage rehearsing off-key and off-rhythm I might add. Immediately my spider-sense went insane warning of imminent danger.

Expecting beauty and charm, well, let’s just say the scene was set for unlimited sarcasm. All disappointment aside, I was there to give support to Cathy who has so eagerly groomed this young group and pronounced an up-coming school of performing arts which is a little jumping the gun considering that she has not secured a lease, a venue or a dateline. I was prepared to be on my best behavior, but as the night wore on, proved to be increasingly difficult.

Time seemed to move in slow motion as people started pouring in and mingling in breezing chit-chats. By the time the party formally commenced, it was already 6p.m. The theme of the night is Shining Prince and Princess Contest where some 14 guys and 10 ladies graced the stage. Then the guests were showered with performances which heavily repeated singing and dancing, only few were even good. However, these youngsters were beaming with confidence of their looks and talents, oblivious to the criticisms, laughs and sneers in the audience. It is after all a small audience and a small step for these aspiring stars.

But, true talent is hard to ignore. Such is the case of the musically talented DJ and the deep musical poet. Then there was the 8 year old, Travis who stole the show with his eye-popping Hip-Hop moves, barely a year of experience under his belt. That’s insane.

What was anticipated to be a 4 hour event dragged to 6 with meaningless chit-chats, video conferencing (which was out of theme) and interviews (Do anyone really care?) Even though I was slightly entertained, the pace was simply unbearable and made it miserable as the night wore on.

And so it ate my precious weekend night when I could be….. I don’t know, wasting time doing something else.

No comments: