Saturday, July 18, 2009

Miku - Japanese Fine Dining



Miku Website

There are plenty of fine Japanese restaurants in Vancouver, but only so few deserves to be praised on all levels. It is either too pricey, substandard service or less than satisfactory food.

I probably had like 3 Japanese restaurants I would recommend and I just added Miku on 1055 Hastings St. to my list. On first impression, it was a beauty. An open concept with high ceilings and large surrounding windows. Translating to “beautiful sky”, Miku’s design is inspired by nature: natural, sustainable elements were used to create the restaurant’s most notable features including its glass waterfall, pebble stone pathway, white marble countertops and its distinct floating glass cloud ceiling. The bad: It was also unusually loud with the chefs screaming now and then.

Upon recommendation, I tried the Aburi Mackerel and Aburi Salmon which were both the highlights of the lunch - to quote Stewie Griffin "oh god [it's like] there's an orgy in my mouth!!". Fresh ingredients, global inspiration and artful presentation are the benchmarks of Miku Restaurant’s outstanding, innovative cuisine. We are talking about organic, local ingredients which enhance the flavour of Miku’s innovative menu. Their tea and sake are also worthy of praise (I haven't tried the wines).


Overall, the food was simply fabulous, well worth the price as well as for me to overlook the small imperfections of the experience. I never liked Tojos because it was too pricey and Miku is a nice alternative to fine Japanese dining. They also have Omakase Menu. 8.5/10. Enjoy.

No comments: