Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Yes Man


I know this movie has been out for some time but I finally got around to catching it in the big screen.

Some people tell me that the “Yes Man” is like an epiphany. Some people tell me it totally changed their lives. Well, I liked the show. This turned out to be the one show in a long while Jim Carey’s humor came through.

I always like the guy whether it is in quirky roles such as “Ace Ventura” and “The Mask” or semi-serious roles such as “Liar Liar” and “Evan Almighty”. The past few years, Jim has been attempting to revamp himself in dramas which totally stifled his god-given comedic talents. “Yes Man” took me back to the good old Carey days. But it is no longer the silly, goofy Jim we are so used to. It looks like age has caught up with him along with a touch of maturity. His humor is more refined and hits all the right spots.

Now, a good actor needs a good script to shine. "Yes Man" will probably appeal to a lot of people because of its relatability. Who doesn't want a better life? The moral of the movie is the power lies in positive reinforcement. I must admit this is the right way to spread the message. Disguising the serious topic behind a humorous tone makes it that much easier for people to digest the message. What makes this movie so good is that it grabs you from the get go and builds up the momentum. It is a serious topic but you would not feel its weight at all.


As good as I think the movie is, the exaggerated effects of being positive sometimes lives on the edge of believability. Seriously, speaking from experience, there is no way a bank can make profit off loans as small as a couple of hundreds. It would not even cover the cost of the paperwork and due diligence. But nonetheless, as incredulous as it may appear, the right attitude does open doors.

From 1 to 10, I rate "Yes Man" a strong 9 because it is funny, relatable, engaging and most of all inspirational. This could make my top 10 all time favourites.

No comments: