Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Iphone 3G = lots of work


So I finally got around to getting an Iphone 3G without the outrageous data plan that Rogers offers. Basically, I am satisfied to be using Wifi for my internet access till a more reasonable plan comes out. Almost immediately, I made a call to their customer tech support and made sure they block the data usage on my phone. To my surprise, I was told that even with the manual block there can still be data transfer in the background. All the warning signs led me to see this as one of the scare tactics they use to persuade you to get the data plan.

Naturally, I was not impressed. Not with the amount of work I had to go through just to set up this phone service and I was even feeling offended that I could be facing a huge bill at the end of the month for something I didn't use. Unwilling to give in, I went and did some research on how to best protect myself from unwanted charges. My results led me to try the following:

Step 1 - Go to unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone in safari

Step 2 - Hit next, disable data, install, and finally install now

Step 3 - A profile which disables data will be loaded into your iPhone, test it out, see if you can use data while not on wifi. It won’t work. If you check your usage stats, you won’t have used any data

If you want to get a data plan one day and remove this profile, go to settings, general, profile, then hit remove.

The reviews I have read indicated that this method completely blocks all internet access when not on a WiFi network. One problem solved. Next, I still need to jailbreak my iphone and then customize it. I have also decided that since the mail program is probably going to be a pain in the ass, I will do without it.

All in all, it ended up being a lot of work which made me question if I have the patience to go through it a second time. After all the sense of novelty has passed? I think not.

No comments: