Saturday, November 8, 2008

"Changeling"


With the convenience of online movie sites lie surfthechannel, it has been several month since I have caught a movie in the cinema. There were a bunch of choices but I don't think I could have done better than "Changeling". If you like, there is one pretty good review I found at Cannes Review.

When I first arrived at the theater, it was filled with elderly couples which indicated more or less the kind of crowd that would better appreciate movies of this drama genre. Compared to all the other meaningless shallow good-for-a-laugh-but-nothing-else junks that flood the screens nowadays, this show is a masterpiece - well written, well directed and even Angelina Jolie haters will have to admit, a great performance.

First off, the movie is long. 141 minutes. But as with any good movies, you would not feel time dragging on instead, the experience draws you in. There is a reason why I do not want to let on too much with a review, instead I want to give the movie the praises it deserves. The bottom line is, I want you to watch it.

At the end, few left without their eyes red from the crying. Well, I was one of the few exceptions since I have a high threshold for touching moments. But, there is almost no words to describe how touched I felt from Angelina's character Christine Collins's unwaivering love for her son.

If there is one movie you watch this year, make it "Changeling".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chirstine Collins: He's not my son.

Capt. J.J. Jones: Mrs. Collins.

Christine Collins: No, I don't know why he's saying that he is, but he's not Walter and there's been a mistake.

Capt. J.J. Jones: I thought we agreed to give him time to adjust.

Christine Collins: He's three inches shorter; I measured him on the chart.

Capt. J.J. Jones: Well, maybe your measurements are off. Look, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for all of this. Christine Collins: He's circumcised and Walter isn't.

Capt. J.J. Jones: Mrs. Collins, your son was missing for five months, for at least part of that time in the company of an unidentified drifter. Who knows what such a disturbed individual might have done. He could have had him circumcised. He could have...

Christine Collins: ...made him shorter?

No comments: