Monday, February 9, 2009

Back in Vancouver finally - Afterthoughts


I am back. Back from a tiresome journey. I have been to so many places I don’t even know where to begin. Singapore was nice but it is nothing compared to the time I had in Taiwan. In less than a week, I had a new appreciation for the Taiwanese culture, grown to love their creativities and humor, and forgive them for their abundance of freedom.

You really have to be impressed with the level of service which prides itself in being warm and courteous. Taiwan really has it down with greetings with every entry and exit. However, the disregard for rules and social etiquette are their undoing.

In Taiwan, traffic regulations are only for reference (except for the green and red lights). There is really a lack of productive and informative global news except for minimal headliners. Most of the news are Taiwan-related and repetitive across the many News channels. It kind of reflects on the kind of society Taiwan is.

Before the trip, I have been hammered with widespread praise for the food delicacies in Taiwan and I have not been disappointed. I especially like the two buffets I had which featured all types of gourmet foods. Japanese, Chinese, Western, Taiwanese, Korean, Italian, you name it, all for a price approximate of CAD$20. Simply put, there is so much to eat and at such convenience, I think I was constantly hungry in Taiwan.

Then there is the 7-11 around every corner, 24 hour shops (bookstores and comic zones are my favs) and delivery services that really make me miss life in a busy city. I think at the end of the day, I am a Chinese and still addicted to the chinese culture.


Places like DanShui (淡水鎮) and JiuFen (九份) brings back memories of how things used to be. It has been too long since I have walked in the alleys of stores. It has been too long since I have felt so alive. YiLan (宜蘭市) was a great Hot Springs experience but unfortunately I was 2 days too early for the Taiwan Lantern Festival so I only caught a small portion of the action. YiLan is simply magical and the dream romantic/family getaway. You probably want to stay overnight and bask in its beauty and warmth. Then you will never want to leave.


A busting place, Taiwan presents many temptations to the weak-minded. Yes, I am weak. How can one not be moved by the countless cute merchandise available? I wrapped my Iphone, bought a few watches (cheap but nice) and indulged myself with some shirts. Granted that I am not a compulsive shopper, such extravagance has already worked up some guilt. After all, these are hardly essentials that I am buying.

The whole trip has been so unforgettable because I was surrounded by close friends and family. As much as I wanted to drive, I was pretty much accompanied by a volunteer chauffeur everywhere I went. I was showered with so much care and food, I think I have put on quite some weight (1.5kg). Maybe I am not that good at saying how much I appreciate what I have been given. Maybe I am not that good with showing gratitude. But deep inside, I remember. True friends are those who give unconditionally and are there for each other. I am lucky because I have made so many.

1 comment:

Mewer said...

I told you so!!!...Taiwan is awesome...and yes, everyone complains about their news too...but people still love to watch it like a soap opera...those people are actually fueling the industry's unhealthy newscasting activities. Let's just say there is good and bad there...and the bad...well, it's just incredibly stupid.