Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolution


Every New Year’s eve, I make a list of New Year’s resolutions that will supposedly better my life, and every year I break them. These are all achievable promises, mind you, I just never put my mind to it for longer than 2 months. Don’t give me that look, I know you have done the same thing before.

This year, I asked myself what does turning 30 this coming year mean to me. I can blame a million small things for my laziness but the bottom line is that my health is suffering and I have yet to have anything significant going for me in my life. What am I doing wrong?! Well I’ve had a year to think about this and this is what I have come up with.

I need a mantra. A few days ago I saw the Jim Carrey movie, The Yes Man. I’m not a big Carrey fan and I particularly hate his later works, the movie was barely so-so, but I liked the concept. Not to give too much away but Carrey’s character is a guy who avoids life. Then one day he starts saying yes to everything and his life is dramatically changed. Now I’m not suggesting you go that far but maybe a key word could be used to trigger an alternative response to a negative action.

FRIEND – Organize at least 1 event per week and make new friends
READ – Read a book per week (Instead of all the wasted nights of bad movies)
EXERCISE – Substitute the couch time by going for a run or exercise
MUSIC – Master 2 songs every month

You get the idea. Nothing big, but if I keep reminding myself with these words everyday when I am indulging in sloth, I might actually accomplish something this year.

Here is to the end of 2008, a fun and eventful year.

Good luck and Happy New Year to all!!