Monday, March 30, 2009

The Escapade


She turned to look at me each time there was a pause or silence. Her mouth was slightly open, and smiling. like she was about to say something but didn’t. Somehow I knew what she wanted to say.

With eyes on the speaker at the other end of the elongated dinner table, I pulled out my cell phone under the table careful not to rouse any attention. Silent mode, I quietly thanked whoever invented SMS. What a genius. Typing without looking is no easy task but lucky for me, I was well-trained during my teenage years in Asia when SMS is free and everyone was sending dozens of SMS everyday. Message sent.

Our eyes met briefly before the speaker continued to put the crowd to sleep. A second later, she stole a moment to check her message before turning back to the stage. A smile rose at the tip of her lips.

“If you want to get out, give me a smile.”

I have become quite adept at getting out of boring situations. Timing is crucial as openings will be limited. There is almost an art to waiting. Oh, screw that, any second longer and this guy will kill my remaining senses, paralyzing me from making any move. It is now or never.

“Sorry to interrupt,” cutting in, “my skin is dehydrated and desperately need a bathroom break.”

“Excuse me.” I stood up, took a short bow and left the table.

Success. Now it is time for me to be the hero and save the damsel in distress. A dozen ideas ran through my head. Set off the sprinklers? It would ruin her dress and hair. Too crude. Create a distraction? It lacked a certain subtlety. There must be a way to steal her from under everyone’s nose.

Then as a waiter walked past, it came to me.

“Excuse me. Can you help me pass a message to that lady in stunning white?” I turned and used my eyes to point. She is always the brightest star, impossible to miss. It adds to the challenge not to attract attention during escape and I love challenges.

With my plan in action, I stepped outside and took in a deep breath of cool raspy night air. It relaxed me but not my heart in anticipation. “Operation Vamoose” would work.

Moments later, I heaved a sigh of relief seeing her walking close.

“Thanks,” Wearing her million dollar smile, she mused. “for your note. I was able to get out in the commotion.”

Wait a minute. That's not on the script!!

“Commotion? They got that from your family emergency?”

She chuckled, “The commotion was when the waiter found you fainted in the restroom.”

We turned and almost instantaneously I walked into a brick wall, at least that what it felt like. I paused for a moment and reflected on the situation. She pulled a fast one on me. I suppose it was just a small prank, no big deal. How bad can it be?

We broke into laughter and then some tears.

My phone was ringing but still on silent.

Meanwhile, the restaurant was in panic – a body was missing somewhere.

1 comment:

Mewer said...

haaa...got a chuckle out of me...