Sunday, September 7, 2008

China

If you make me pick one culture that I would like to learn and indulge in, it would have to be China with all its 5000 over years of history.

No one can deny China’s deep cultural roots. You can go back to the works of great philosophers like Lao Zi and Confucius who continue to set moral foundations for present and future generations. There are countless stories of great men, of times of turmoil, of patriotism and loyalty, and of struggles to unify all of China. I am sure you have heard of the Romance Of Three Kingdoms or the Water Margin Tales. Sometimes I even complain that I should have been borned during the Song dynasty so that I can meet with Li Bai, Du Fu and all the great poets.
If you catch the annual New year's performances, you will be captured by the amazing diversity of their cultures especially the beauty of their dances and celebrations. Prepare to be dazzled when dancers raid the stage wearing their own cultural uniforms rich of tradition and flavor.

There is a saying that if you haven't been to the Great Wall, you are not a hero. Just to give you an idea of what the fuss is about, how about it being the single architecture that can be seen from the moon? The number of national treasures are astonishing and the National Museum has to rotate the artifacts to give each one a chance for show.

There is simply no denying that China is a country of greatness. This is not to say that I see China as a country of probity or ignore all that it is not. I am well aware of their xenophobia, their widespread corruption and how their legal system resembles that of a leaking condo. I know of their disregard for human rights, their cruelty and their ability to inflict pain beyond your wildest imagination. Understanding this, you find yourself forgiving those who are paranoid of going to China, being swindled to the last penny, finding themselves at the mercy of the corrupted authorities and maybe even at the expense of their lives.

In recent years, the rapid growth of China as a super power seems to go in opposite direction with their education. It is simply ridiculous that China, being as corrupted and the law being as friable as it is, finds itself forgoing on instilling the basic morals of society upon its younger generations.

For those who somehow still manage to retain the traditional values and cultures, I extend my hand out and hope to be your friend.

1 comment:

Poeticcrap said...

Once I started on this article, I started regretting it. What a pain it is to finish it and I am sure there are a million problems to it that I just can't be bothered to fix.