Saturday, September 20, 2008

The World Series

Eyes lazered me as they built on the Everest mountain of embarrassment I was pinned under. I hung my head low and charged like a pit-bull through the crowd. What was a minute felt like hours and hours of humiliation. The murmurs thundered around then spreading and multiplying. In my darkest hour, it felt like I had no place to hide.

It must be a dream. Dreaming of being naked in public is not uncommon; perhaps, being naked in the middle of field right before the start of the World Series is. There were smiles, laughter and even cheers but my mood was solemn. The big screen on the walls had a close-up on me that perfectly accentuated my features. I looked good, surprisingly. My hands found themselves covering the least important area of all - my buns. Why, you ask? Maybe you should ask my therapist.


At the speed of light, I cut across the field towards the bench. In a corner, I could spot the door to the locker rooms. The players stood guard though, all 22 of them. With sheer determination, I cried “Lets play Balls!!!” then ran right at them. But just before contact, my face was covered by the wind. No. The wind caught a scarf and blew it to me. It was pink but there was no time to be picky. The scarf gave me a choice and my instincts picked my face.

I composed myself. Without the 9 that took the field, there was the unlucky 13 that remained in my way. With brute force, I would probably be brutalized by any single. Then suddenly as if struck by a stroke of genius, I understood why I covered my face and buns. I held my breath and when the toxic erupted, the stadium was dead silent. Painful shrieks from the 13 penetrated the hyped up atmosphere, shattering fear amongst them. There was an opening, if only for a brief second. I lurched forward ferociously. My eyes were blood red with a thirst to kill. No one dared risk his life to stop me. Finally, I broke through.


“I knew…. you could do it.” A soft voice shivered in the dark corridor.

I pulled off the scarf on my face, feeling high with the adrenaline pumping and a certain courage I never knew I possessed. I moved towards her.

She jumped and wrapped her arms around me. “I knew.... I knew…. you could do it.”

"Thanks for your scarf"

And there were tears of joy flying.

2 comments:

Poeticcrap said...

I got the idea from playing MLB power pro 2008 on Wii.

Mewer said...

UMMMMM...did you PEE on the 13 players or was it something more sexually inappropriate???

Why does it sound like a wet dream?

Anyway, this entry was pretty funny in the middle...but I have a lot of issues with the first paragraph.



"Eyes lazered me as they built on the Everest mountain of embarrassment I was pinned under."

The pronoun "they" are "eyes" according to the sentence structure, but "eyes" cannot build on a mountain of embarrassment.

I suggest substituting "stares" for "eyes". And it would be better to use the preposition "upon" in the phrase "built upon the Everest mountain of embarrassment".


Then "I hung my head low and charged like a pit-bull through the crowd."...I thought that at this point, you're in the middle of the field being stared at? What "crowd" were you charging through?


Lastly,
"The murmurs thundered around then spreading and multiplying."

Look at the verbs. There is a problem with parallelism here. It should be "The murmurs thundered around then spread and multiplied."