Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Piano Man



I think I wanted to play piano after I watched "The Legend of 1900" several years back. Today, I got back to learning piano after close to two years of inactivity.

The first question I was asked by Monica, my music mentor, is, "What do you want to learn?". Without any hesistation, I responded, "Magic Waltz". Of course, I know that it is beyond me to play the piece at present, but I plan to in 6 months. With a little courage, I performed 10 pieces that I have learnt but barely remembered for her review. She quickly caught on to the genre of music that I like and designed a teaching plan. Being sensitive to the student's capability and preference is what really impressed me about her, even more so than her music capabilities. This first session was enjoyable and further fueled my determination to study piano. It also doesn't hurt that my teacher is a cute young Korean lady.
Currently, I am working on 3 pieces that I really like- "Take 5", "Fly me to the moon" and "Misty". Hopefully, all the positive notes are not just part of the honeymoon period. Next week, the real lesson begins.

No comments: