Friday, September 5, 2008

Titanic Watch

Watches are no longer simply a timepiece but also a symbol of status. While I may not be a fan of wearing them, they are one of the few necessary assessories of men. Sad to say, all my watches are old and broken, hinting that it is time I start shopping for new ones.

I was never much of a shopper even thougn I do relative comparison. Basically I'll settle for anything that is not overpriced, which means that I probably won't get the best deal but I also won't spend the extra time on research and even more time after purchase trying to make sure I made a bargain. Until you get into the action, you will never realize how much work is put into a watch and how many different ones are out there.

My migraine was working its way up as I was bombarded with choices that I didn't know how to make. Lost and confused, I came across one of the Titanic watch designs by revolutionary watchmarket Romain Jerome and instantly took a liking to it. This watch, if you can believe it, is made from steel from the actual sunken oceanliner and there is only 2012 (marking 100 years of the wreck) produced and sold. Available in several different versions, my favourite is the "extreme rusted steel", with its bezel forged with authentic Titanic parts, titanium and blackened steel casing, black dial intergrating recovered coal from the ship, and La Joux-Perret movement. I could hardly contain my drooling.

Then I saw the price tag.........

(Price ranges from $9,000 to $150,000.)

1 comment:

Poeticcrap said...

One funny model does not even tell time. All it does is tell you if it is day or night.